All sheep coming on to the farm are a risk and should be yarded and treated
This includes both incoming stock and stock coming back on to the farm from a different holding. There are five elements to quarantine treatments.
- Yard or house animals on arrival to stop them dropping any worm eggs on pasture.
- Choose at least one of the newest groups of wormer to treat - eg Zolvix™ (4-AD).
- Weigh sheep, calibrate equipment and make sure sheep are drenched correctly. A scab treatment can also be used at this time.
- Continue to hold off from pasture for 24-48 hours to allow the treatment to work.
- Turn out on to dirty pasture – pasture that has carried sheep this season. In addition, a treatment for scab is also advised and SCOPS advises two wormers to be used. For instance if using Dectomax™ for scab control this would also act as a second wormer dose in conjunction with Zolvix™.